For an audition next month, five arias under five minutes each. My notes from trying to figure out what to sing:
– Durch Zartlichkeit
– Caro nome
– Les oiseaux dans la charmille
– Stravinsky is too long. I need something shorter in English: New music?
- – I’m not doing any goddamn Britten.
- – Why don’t I have anything for this?
- – I should have something for this.
- – I could always do the Schafer aria – daring and impressive. Plus they won’t ask for it.*
- – NO I NEED TO SING SOMETHING IN ENGLISH. I need to sing new music because new music is what I f*cking do. Which leaves me with Britten. I don’t want to sing Britten.
- – Dammit, if I can’t find anything else I’ll do Schafer. It would be fun to re-learn it anyway.
I might just throw the Stravinsky in; I really ought to have something in English in there. It’s about 7 minutes long, but Lulu is pretty short – maybe that’ll make up for it.
Or I’ll just sing it REALLY fast.
*Aria of the Princess from “Princess of the Stars”. Meant to be sung on the edge of a lake at 5 AM. No lyrics, just vowels. I used to use it for auditions because it’s really cool etc.; but not indoor music.