OK, so let me rewind. When Ben and I first moved into this place (around 3 years ago), we decided to start using a mini-fridge instead of the full-sized one that was provided. This was for two reasons: a) to save energy, b) to reduce food wastage. I have a definite tendency to buy stuff, stick it in the back of the fridge, and forget about it until someone next door calls the cops because they think we have a rotting corpse in here. So the mini-fridge seemed to a be a good environmental and neighbourly move.
And that’s what we’ve used for the past three years. I’m not sure if there’s any significant energy savings, but we certainly have wasted less food than before. The big fridge (unplugged) we used for dry goods storage. Until today, when I plugged it in.
BECAUSE I BROKE THE FRIDGE WITH A SCREWDRIVER!
Yes, I *am* an idiot. On Friday I bought some meat on sale. The tiny freezer compartment of the mini-fridge was about half full of built up ice, so yesterday – since the meat was about to go bad if it didn’t get frozen – I took out the hammer and screwdriver and chipped it out.
Apparently this is a really bad idea.
It seems that I nicked the lining of the freezer and the freon leaked out. So not only did the freezer fail to re-freeze, I have now filled our home with a poisonous gas. Fortunately it being summer, the windows and doors are all open and no one’s died yet. (I don’t think the amount of freon that’s in a fridge could really hurt you, but I suppose it’s not something you want to mess with.)
So the big fridge is now plugged in and puffing away until we save up enough money to buy a new mini-fridge, and I cleared off one shelf and squeezed all the dry goods onto it. All I can say is I’m very sorry, and I’m very, very stupid.
But on an up note the meat has to be cooked today, so time for meatballs!